If you have gout gouty arthritis, also popularly referred to as gout, it is important you adapt your diet because the foods you eat can help decrease pain and so it is recommended you reduce the intake of some protein-rich foods, such as some meats and shellfish, and increase water consumption.
These foods are rich in purines, nutrients that when they are in excess in the blood can end up accumulating in places like the ankles, heels and knees, causing inflammation and pain.
Foods forbidden if you have gout
The foods we consider that should be avoided during a gout crisis are:
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Soft drinks and sugary drinks;
- Goose meat, chicken heart, kidneys, chicken and cubes of meat broths;
- Red meat in excess;
- Foods rich in fructose, especially sweet ones such as cherries, mangoes, khaki or figs;
- Seafood, fish, anchovies, herring, mussels, mackerel, sardines, scallops;
- Industrialized products with ingredients such as fructose, like soft drinks, canned or powdered juices, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, industrialized sauces, caramel, artificial honey, chocolates, cakes, puddings, fast food, some types of breads, sausage and ham.
When you are not having a gout crisis these foods are not banned, but should be controlled to avoid the onset of a crisis, so they should be consumed in moderation, preferably according to a nutritionist's guidelines.
What to eat if you have gout
If you have gout it is essential to drink a lot of water, from 2 to 3 liters of water a day, to increase the production of urine and the elimination of uric acid from the blood, besides eating foods like:
- Cress, beet, celery, peppers, pumpkin, onion, cucumber, parsley, garlic;
- Apple, orange, watermelon, passion fruit, strawberry, melon;
- Milk and derivatives.
These foods will facilitate the elimination of uric acid that is in excess in the blood through the urine. In addition, you can also use flaxseed and chia seeds that are natural anti-inflammatory drugs to help decrease pain. A good way to use these seeds is to add to the juices with diuretic fruits or yogurt.
Diet menu for gout
In addition to being careful with food, you may also need to lose weight because excess weight causes hormonal changes in the body that end up decreasing the elimination of uric acid through the urine.
|Meal||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
Strawberry vitamin with 1 slice of whole wheat bread and cheese.
|1 glass of milk and an egg sandwich.||Orange juice + 2 scrambled eggs with cheese, tomato and oregano.|
|Morning snack||10 grapes.||1 mashed banana + 1 teaspoon of chia seeds.||1 yogurt + 1 teaspoon of linseeds.|
|Lunch/Dinner||Chicken breast with tomato sauce + rice and salad.||Pasta with ground beef + green leafy salad and corn.||Heart of palm and shredded chicken + sauteed vegetables.|
|Afternoon snack||1 natural yogurt with a tablespoon of oats.||Avocado vitamin.||1 roasted banana with 1 teaspoon of chia seeds + 1 slice of roasted cheese.|