Bone broth is rich in collagen, which is an amino-acid that is essential for skin health. It ensures skin firmness and elasticity and prevents wrinkles and looseness.
In addition. bone breath has a low glycemic index, and can be used in diets aimed at weight loss like intermittent fasting, which is a diet that triggers fat burning.
It also contains high quantities of glutamine, an amino acid found in the bones. Bone broth also helps to strengthen and improve the function of the body's defense cells.
Bone broth is rich in nutrients and can provide diverse health benefits, with the main ones being:
- Maintain intestinal health: because it is rich in glycine and glutamine, which are amino that help maintain the balance of intestinal bacteria which prevents diarrhea and constipation.
- Maintain bone health: due to having glycosamine and condition, compounds that form in the cartilage and help to strengthen bones and prevent disease, like arthritis and arthrosis.
- Strengthen the immune system: because it contains good quantities of glutamine, an amino-acid that protects the intestinal flora and strengthens defense cells.
- Helps with weight loss: because it has a low glycemic index and good quantities of protein, which help to keep your appetite satisfied for longer and decrease hunger between meals.
- Prevent insomnia: as it is rich in glycine, an amino-acid with a calming effect on the nervous system, which improves sleep quality at night.
- Prevent early aging: as it is rich in collagen, a nutrient that is essential for maintaining skin firmness and elasticity, which prevents wrinkles and looseness
In addition, bone broth contains low amounts of carbohydrates and abundant protein, which controls blood glucose levels, helping to prevent diabetes.
How bone broth helps with weight loss
Bone broth is a soup that is low in calories and contains high quantities of protein, which keeps you full and decreases the urge to eat throughout the day.
In addition, it has a low glycemic index, which helps to controls blood sugar levels and promotes hunger control and weight loss.
Bone broth recipe
To prepare bone broth, it is important to use cow, chicken or turkey bones, as well as other ingredients like vinegar, water and vegetables.
- 4 kg (about 9 lb) of bones with marrow
- 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to prepare
Wash the carrot and leek, cut them into medium-size pieces and place them in a large pot. Peel the onion, cut it into medium-size cubes and place it in the pot. Then add the bones and cover the ingredients with water. Add the vinegar. Cook the mixture at low heat for 4 to 8 hours. Turn off the stove, allow it to cool and then strain, making sure to remove any remaining solid parts. You can drink 2 ladles of the broth while warm or allow to cool.
How to store it
Bone broth should be stores in a glass or plastic tupperware in small portions (about 2 ladles each portion). The broth can be kept in the fridge for about 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.