Collagen is a protein that gives structure, firmness and elasticity to the skin, which is naturally produced by the body, but can also be found in foods such as meat and gelatin, in moisturizing creams or food supplements in capsules or powders.
This protein is very important to keep the cells firm and united, it is not only important for the skin but also for other tissues such as the integrity of muscles, ligaments, tendons and joints, improving your health.
When to take collagen
Collagen supplements should be used when the concentration of this protein decreases in the body, causing symptoms such as:
- Decreased thickness of hair strands;
- Increased sagging and loss of skin elasticity;
- Appearance of wrinkles and lines of expression;
- Stretch marks appear;
- Fine and dehydrated skin;
- Decreased bone density as in cases of osteopenia and osteoporosis for example;
- Weakening of joints and ligaments.
When these symptoms are present, supplementation with collagen supplements such as BioSlim or Collagen may be necessary, which will help balance collagen levels in the body.
In addition, these collagen-rich products can be especially important from the age of 50, when there is a drastic reduction in the production of collagen, which over time leads to an aging appearance. However, these products should only be used with your doctor or nutritionist, as many hydrolyzed collagen supplements have a combination of different amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
Main benefits of collagen
Some of the main benefits of collagen for the body are:
- Prevents the appearance of cellulite;
- Strengthens nails;
- Strengthens hair and improves your appearance;
- Decreases the appearance of stretch marks;
- Increases skin elasticity;
- Prevents and slows the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Collagen gives firmness to the skin, in addition to preventing the appearance of cellulite, it also acts in its treatment, because with firmer skin the nodes of cellulite tend not to appear as much
How to restore collagen levels
To restore collagen in the body, you can follow a rich diet in these nutrients, so it is important to consume foods rich in collagen such as:
- Red meat;
- White meats;
- Mocotó Jelly.
The best way to fight aging and keep your skin firm, is to consume these foods or food supplements daily from hydrolyzed collagen in capsules, powders or tablets, which will help replenish collagen levels in the body.
However, you should always take collagen along with vitamin C rich foods like orange, kiwi, pineapple or papaya, as this vitamin is responsible for allowing the body to absorb collagen. So it is recommended to take the collagen capsules or the powder along with an orange juice or kiwi for example to ensure that the collagen is properly absorbed by the body.
Collagen supplements can be taken in the form of capsules, tablets or powder, and some examples are:
- Neocell Super Collagen Powder; Collagen powder must be diluted in water before drinking and costs about 16 pounds;
- Nature’s Bounty Hydrolyzed Collagen: Collagen in the form of capsules and which costs on average 15 pounds;
- Correxiko premium Marine collagen peptides: collagen powder supplement with zinc, vitamin A, C and E and its price ranges 27 pounds.
These supplements can be purchased at pharmacies, health food stores, drugstores or online stores for example. In addition, treatment with these supplements should last for a minimum of 9 months, and a maximum daily dose of 9 g of collagen is recommended. See how the treatment should be done with hydrolyzed collagen.