Candidiasis, also known as yeast infection or thrush, is a common disease. In men it can cause itching, pain and redness on the penis, but in some cases, it may cause no obvious symptoms.
This condition can be cured, and treatment is usually done with topical ointments or antifungal medication prescribed by a urologist.
Male yeast infection is a fungal infection caused by Candida albicans, which mainly affects the mouth and genitals, and normally manifests in people who have a weakened immune system, diabetes or have had sexual intercourse without using protection.
The main symptoms of a male yeast infection usually include:
- Pain or burning sensation during sex;
- Itching on the penis;
- Redness and/or swelling of the glans;
- White discharge similar to semen.
You should see a urologist if you have these symptoms and suspect of an yeast infection. Diagnosis can be confirmed through a penile evaluation and/or a laboratory examination in which a small sample of the penile lesions is collected to evaluate the presence of the fungus.
What can cause an yeast infection
Yeast infections can be caused by a number of factors, but it only manifests itself when men have their immune system weakened.
The main causes of male yeast infections are:
- Having sex without using a condom;
- Frequent use of antibiotics, corticosteroids or antidepressants;
- Poor intimate hygiene;
- Diseases that weaken the immune system, such as AIDS or lupus;
- Going through chemotherapy;
- Having a diet rich in sugary foods.
In addition to the penis, yeast infections can also affect the mouth, throat, nails, skin and scalp.
Treatment for yeast male infection can be done at home with the use of antifungal ointments such as Fluconazole, which should be applied daily for 7 to 10 days, according to medical recommendation.
When the ointment does not seem to be treating the infection, or in cases of recurrent yeast infections, oral antifungals such as Fluconazole or Ketoconazole may also be used for up to 14 days.
How to prevent male yeast infections
It is common for yeast infections to appear more than once. To prevent this from happening, it is important to:
- Follow an appropriate diet, rich in water, fruits and vegetables to strengthen the immune system;
- Avoid wearing warm, tight or wet clothing;
- Practice good hygiene of the penile area;
- Use condoms in all sexual contacts.
Strengthening the immune system is also a great way to prevent the spread of Candida albicans, so you should eat less sugar, exercise, and follow a healthy diet.