Candidiasis is a common disease, and in men it can cause itching, pain and redness to the penis, but in some cases it may cause no obvious symptoms. This disease has a cure and the treatment is done with ointments or antifungal medication prescribed by a urologist.
Candidiasis is a fungal infection caused by Candida albicans, which mainly affects the mouth and genitals, and manifests mainly in people with weak immune systems, who have diabetes or have had intercourse without using a condom.
Causes for male yeast infections
Candidiasis can be caused by a number of factors, but it only manifests itself, when men have their immune system weakened. The main causes of candidiasis are:
- Intercourse without using a condom with a partner infected with the fungus Candida albicans;
- Frequent use of antibiotics, corticosteroids or antidepressants;
- Poor intimate hygiene;
- Diseases that weaken the immune system, such as AIDS and lupus;
- Diet rich in sugary foods.
In addition to the penile region, candidiasis can affect the mouth, throat, nails, skin and scalp.
How to treat male yeast infections
Candidiasis is curable and its treatment in men can be done at home with the use of antifungal ointments such as Fluconazole, which should be applied daily for 7 to 10 days, according to medical recommendation.
When the ointment used in the treatment has no effect or in cases of recurrent yeast infections, oral antifungals such as Fluconazole or Ketoconazole may also be used for up to 14 days.
Another strategy that helps cure candidiasis faster is to invest in foods like parsley and lemon that can be used to season salad or squeezed in a little water without sweetening.
Symptoms of male yeast infection
The symptoms of male yeast infection are circumscribed to penile infection and can be:
- Pain or burning sensation during intercourse;
- Redness, swelling or whitish plaques on the glans;
- Discharge similar to semen.
You should consult an urologist in the presence of these symptoms, and the diagnosis is made through penile evaluation and a laboratory examination in which a small sample of the penile lesions is collected to evaluate the presence of the fungus.
How to prevent male yeast infections
It is common for the yeast infection to recur, and so to prevent its appearance, it is important to:
- Follow a proper diet, rich in water, fruits and vegetables to strengthen the immune system;
- Avoid wearing warm, tight or wet clothing;
- Proper hygiene of the penile area;
- Use condoms in intimate relationships.
Strengthening the immune system is also a great way to prevent the proliferation of Candida albicans, so you should eat less sugar, exercise, and follow a healthy diet.