A woman who takes the continuous pill has up to 3 hours after the usual time to take the missed pill, but anyone who takes any other pill has up to 12 hours to take the forgotten pill without having to worry.
Forgetting contraception on a certain day is one of the biggest causes of unwanted pregnancy.
If you forget to take the pill, it is important to consider using another contraceptive method.
Summary of what to do if you forget to take birth control pill
In case you forget we indicate in the following table what you need to do:
|Up to 12h of forgetting||More that 12h of forgetting (1, 2 or more)|
21 and 24 days Pill
(Diane 35, Loestrin, Yaz 28, Yasmin, Beyaz)
|Take as soon as you remember. There is no risk of getting pregnant.|
In the 1st week: Take as soon as you remember and the other at the usual time. Use a condom in the next 7 days. There is a risk of getting pregnant if you had intercourse the previous week.
- In the 2nd week: Take as soon as you remember, even if you have to take 2 pills together. You do not have to use a condom and there is no risk of getting pregnant.
- At the end of the pill pack: Take the pill as soon as you remember and follow the pill pack normally, but amend with the next pill case, soon after, without menstruating.
|Up to 3h of forgetting||More than 3h of forgetting (1, 2 or more)|
28 days Pill
(Cerazette, Cerelle, Micronor, Norgeston, Noriday)
|Take as soon as you remember. There is no risk of getting pregnant.||Take as soon as you remember but use a condom during the next 7 days so you don't get pregnant.|
What to do when you forget the first pill in the pack
- When you need to start a new pack, you have up to 24 hours to start the pack without having to worry. You do not have to use a condom in the next few days, but there is a risk of getting pregnant if you had intercourse the week before.
- If you only remember to start the pack with 48 hours delay, there is a risk of getting pregnant, so you should use a condom for the next 7 days.
- If you forget for more than 48 hours you should not start the pack and wait for the onset of menstruation and on that first day of menstruation start a new pack. During this period of waiting for menstruation you should use a condom.
What to do if you forget 2, 3 or more pills in a row
- When forgetting 2 pills or more of the same pack there is a risk of getting pregnant and so you should use a condom in the next 7 days, there is also the risk of getting pregnant if you had intercourse the previous week. In any case, you should continue the pills normally until you finish the carton.
- If you forget 2 tablets in the 2nd week, you can leave the pack for 7 days and on the 8th day start a new pack.
- If you forget 2 tablets in the 3rd week, you can leave the pack for 7 days and on the 8th day start a new pack or continue with the current pack and then amend with the next one.
When to take the morning after pill
The morning after pill is an emergency contraceptive that can be used up to 72 hours after intercourse without a condom. However it should not be used out of habit because it has a high hormonal concentration and it provokes changes in the menstrual cycle of the woman. Some examples are: Plan B One Step and Take Action.
How to know if you are pregnant
If you forget to take the pill, depending on the time you forget, the week and how many pills you forgot to take in the same month, there is a risk of getting pregnant. Therefore, it is recommended to take the pill as soon as you remember and follow the information indicated in the table above.
However, the only way to confirm that you are pregnant is by taking a pregnancy test. The pregnancy test can be done at least 5 weeks after the day you forgot to take the pill because before, even if you are pregnant the result may be a false negative due to the small amount of hormone Beta HCG in the pee.
Another quicker way to know if you are pregnant is to look at the 10 first pregnancy signs to look out for that may come before your menstrual delay. You can also take our pregnancy test online to see if there is any chance of being pregnant: