Carqueja tea has several health benefits, such as regulating blood pressure and blood sugar, strengthening your immune system and improving digestive problems and can be consumed up to 3 times a day.
Carqueja tea is made from Carqueja leaves, a medicinal plant of the scientific name Baccharis trimera, which can be found in health food stores and free markets.
Benefits of Carqueja
Carqueja has hypoglycemic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antihypertensive and diuretic properties, having several health benefits, including:
- It improves diabetes, because it has the ability to decrease the absorption of sugars ingested in food, thereby helping to control diabetes. Despite being used to lower sugar levels in the body, the hypoglycemic effects of Carqueja are still being studied;
- Detoxifies the liver as it contains flavonoids in its composition that exert a protective function of the liver;
- Lowers blood pressure in people diagnosed with hypertension;
- Improves digestive problems, protecting the stomach and preventing the appearance of ulcers, as it has in its composition substances that decrease gastric secretion;
- Lowers cholesterol due to the presence of saponins in its composition, which can help to prevent cholesterol absorption;
- Helps fight inflammation as it has anti-inflammatory properties;
- Helps you lose weight by reducing appetite
- Relieves fluid retention as it has a diuretic effect, promoting the elimination of fluid retained in the body and reducing swelling;
- Strengthens your immune system as it has antioxidants.
These benefits of carqueja tea are due to some substances that this plant has, such as phenolic compounds, saponins, flavones and flavonoids. However, this plant has some contraindications and should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding or in large doses as it can be harmful to your health.
How to prepare Carqueja tea
Carqueja tea is simple and quick to make and has several health benefits.
- 2 tablespoons of chopped carqueja leaves;
- 500 ml of water.
Put the ingredients in a pan and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cover, let it cool down, strain and drink. To take all the benefits of carqueja tea you drink up to 3 cups of this tea a day.