The best foods to eat in case of stomach pain are cooked vegetables such as carrots or chayote, fruit juices, cooked or roasted fruit, broths or warm soups because they are easier to digest. The foods that should be avoided are raw vegetables, milk or fat derivatives or very fatty and processed foods, which are harder to digest.
In addition, lettuce, aromatic or chamomile teas, for example, are great choices because they have soothing medicinal properties that may help relieve stomach pain.
If pain in the stomach takes more than 2 days to pass, it is recommended you see a gastroenterologist to diagnose the cause of the pain, which may be gastritis, stomach ulcer, pancreatitis, anxiety or side effects of medications, for example, and should be treated properly. See more causes for stomach pain.
What to eat
The foods allowed in the diet for gastritis and ulcer are easy to digest and low in fat, such as:
- Fruits in general, in some people sour fruits can cause reflux or pain when consuming these foods, and in such cases they should be avoided. It is possible to consume 100% fruit and sugar free jams;
- Vegetables in general, like cooked and skinless vegetables, during periods of crisis and pain, because they are easier to digest, such as zucchini, eggplant, carrot, spinach, chard, and green beans;
- Low-fat meats such as chicken, turkey and fish, preferably grilled, baked or cooked;
- Milk and skimmed milk products, such as yogurt;
- Carbohydrates such as white rice, pasta, sweet potatoes and potatoes, because they are easier to digest and should be avoided whole grains, especially in times of crisis;
- Teas like chamomile or ginger;
- Decaf coffee;
- White cheeses like ricotta or curd;
- Raw olive oil in small quantities;
- Natural condiments such as fine herbs, garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, mustard.
During a stomach ache, it is best to prepare the food in order to obtain a puree of a softer consistency. The meat can be shredded or chopped, fruits and vegetables should be eaten cooked and without peel.
What not to eat
The foods you shouldn't consume are those that are difficult to digest and that are very processed due to the presence of additives, which can irritate the stomach:
- Processed meats such as sausage, chorizo, bacon, ham, turkey breast, salami, mortadella;
- Yellow and processed cheeses such as cheddar, mozzarella and cream cheese;
- Fat dairy products, such as whole milk, yogurt, cream, butter, margarine and oil;
- Ready made sauces, such as ketchup, mayonnaise;
- Condiments, such as seasoning cubes or instant noodles;
- Ready made foods such as frozen and fast food;
- Coffee or tea with high caffeine content, such as green tea, mate or black tea;
- Sodas or ready juices;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Sugar, sweets in general and foods containing it;
- Refined and fried foods such as cakes and biscuits;
- White flour, such as corn and wheat;
- Foods high in fat such as fatty meats, chicken skin, liver and fatty fish such as salmon and tuna.
In addition, acidic fruits like lemon, orange and pineapple should also be avoided if symptoms of heartburn or stomach pain appear after consumption. Some people often suffer from intestinal gas and food intolerance like cabbage, broccoli, beans and cauliflower, so in these cases they should be avoided.
The diet for gastritis, although following some rules, can present many variations depending on the tolerance of each person. So the list above is just a guide.
In addition, if gastritis appears mainly in times of stress or tension, it can be a sign of stress induced gastritis. See the symptoms and how to treat this type of disease.
Menu example for when you have stomach pain
Below you will find a menu suggestion if you experience stomach pain.
|Meals||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|Breakfast||Watermelon juice + 2 slices of bread and light creamy cheese||1 cup of decaffeinated coffee + 2 scrambled eggs with a slice of white cheese + 1 cup of papaya in squares.||2 scrambled eggs with a slice of bread + 1 cooked apple|
|Lunch /Dinner||4 tablespoons of rice + 1 chicken breast + 1 cup of carrots and cooked green beans + 1 string of olive oil||1 piece of hake baked in the oven with potatoes, tomato, onion and a string of olive oil.|
1 turkey breast + 1/2 cup mashed potatoes + 1/2 cup cooked zucchini, onion, carrot and eggplant and a string of olive oil
|Snack||1 natural yogurt + 1 teaspoon of honey + 1/2 banana|
Papaya smoothie with skimmed milk
Decaffeinated coffee + 1 slice of bread with light curd cheese + 1 boiled egg
Although stomach pain decreases appetite, it is important to eat small, frequent meals, for example every 3 hours, because being too long without food can cause the stomach to release acid when it is empty, making the pain worse.