Walking can help you lose weight, may improve blood circulation, posture and can also help to lose belly fat. If you walk at a fast pace you can burn up to 400 calories in 1 hour, which means the you may lose up to 0.5 kg a week just with this exercise.
When walking is done on a regular basis and associated with a diet prescribed by a nutritionist according to your goals, weight loss is greater.
This type of exercise may also have other health benefits, such as lowering cholesterol, increasing bone mass and decreasing the risk of diabetes. In addition, it is indicated for individuals of all ages and physical conditions, as long as it respects your limitations. See the benefits of walking.
Tips for losing weight with walking exercise
If the goal of walking is weight loss, it is important to follow some recommendations, such as:
- Pay attention to your breathing during the walk, breathing through your nose and exhaling through your mouth to a natural rhythm, avoiding depriving the body of oxygen;
- Walk at least 30 minutes a day 3 to 4 times a week and maintain regular physical activity;
- Vary the intensity and speed in which you walk;
- Avoid the monotony of the course, trying to vary the route. Doing exercise outdoors is great as it increases energy levels and allows the body to burn more calories;
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for physical activity;
- Associate pleasure with physical activity through music, for example, which can make exercise more enjoyable and increase the sense of well-being;
- During the walk, it is important to work the entire body, so it is important you move your arms according to your pace, contracting your abdomen, putting your chest out and keeping the tips of your feet a little high.
Before starting to walk it is important you warm up, preparing the muscles for the activity, so you can avoid injuries. The warm up should be done in a dynamic way, with jumps, for example. After the exercising, it is also important you stretch to decrease the risk of cramps and the concentration of lactic acid in the muscles.
What to eat to increase weight loss
To increase weight loss promoted by walking, it is important to follow a diet rich in fiber, vegetables, fruits, whole grain foods and seeds, such as chia and flaxseed, for example. In addition, it is also recommended you reduce the consumption of fats and sugars, as well as industrialized products rich in calories such as snack foods, soda, frozen and ready-to-eat meats and processed meats such as sausage and bacon. Get to know which fruits can help you lose weight.
During the walk, it is recommended you drink water to stay hydrated and after physical activity perform a small meal containing carbohydrates and proteins, such as a skimmed yogurt with 5 crackers or natural fruit juice with whole wheat bread and cheese, for example.