Sparkling water is good for health, because besides hydrating, it contains the same micronutrients as natural water, being differentiated by the addition of CO2 (carbon dioxide), which is an inert gas, eliminated from the body after ingestion. It only confers the presence of bubbles and a more acidic taste.
However, some brands add extra artificial substances, flavors and sweeteners, such as soda water, which tend to decrease the healthy effect of this type of water, so it is recommended you read the label on the packaging. Simple sparkling water, without additives is the one that has all the benefits of hydration, being often a great help to those who can not drink a lot of water without gas.
Therefore, the main benefits of sparkling water are:
1. Hydrate the body
Water with gas hydrates as much, and has the same nutrients as natural water. In addition, carbon dioxide is not harmful to health because the body absorbs and eliminates this gas.
2. Is rich in nutrients
Mineral water, both with or without gas, is rich in nutrients such as calcium, potassium and magnesium. As it also contains sodium, people who have high blood pressure should be aware of the label, as some brands may add more amounts of this substance, avoiding the brands that do this.
3. Helps you lose weight
The gas present in carbonated water, when released into the stomach, increases the feeling of fullness and of a full stomach, which can help you eat less and decrease the amount of calories in a meal. In addition, sparkling water has no calories and therefore can be consumed at will.
4. Improves your palate
Sparkling water makes your taste buds more sensitive to the taste of food, which can accentuate its taste and is therefore a great option before enjoying a coffee or a glass of wine, for example.
In addition, the CO2 present in the water stimulates the functioning of the stomach, increasing its secretion and emptying, and can improve the sensation of digestion.
5. Can it replace soda
In addition to being taken in its natural version, sparkling water can be a healthy way and replace the refrigerant through its aromatization. Using lemon, orange zest, spearmint and ginger, for example, can be great ways to make the drink more palatable and facilitate water consumption throughout the day.
Does sparkling water harm your health?
It is very similar in appearance and taste to beverages like soda, there are many myths created about sparkling water.
- It does not harm pregnancy and can be consumed normally in this period, however, in pregnancy the sensation of full stomach and swelling can be greater, because the increased belly presses the stomach, making it more sensitive.
- It does not cause cellulite because the increase in fat in the butt or legs is caused due to the consumption of sugar-rich drinks such as soft drinks and box juice.
- It does not cause changes or corrosion of your teeth, because the amount of acid is not very high to the point of neither having more acidity than a soda or lemon juice, for example. Therefore, in order to harm your teeth it is necessary for sparkling water to be many hours in contact with your teeth, which does not happen.
- It does not remove calcium from bones, and does not interfere with the absorption of calcium from food. This can happen if you drink too much soda, mainly because with too much of this drink, other sources of minerals are left out. In addition, in refrigerant, excess caffeine and phosphoric acid action may decrease bone mineral density.
- It does not harm the kidneys, and the more it consumes the better, just like the natural water, so that they work better and the body is hydrated.
The required amount of water a day, with or without gas, is about 2 liters, or 8 cups, but this can vary according to your weight, if he does physical activity or his excess, and with the presence of some diseases, such as kidney or heart failure.
When not to drinking sparkling water
Watermarks that have other added products such as artificial flavor, sugar, sweetener, sodium and other preservatives should be avoided.
In addition, sparkling water should not be the first choice for children, so be aware of doing as well as non-sparkling water, it is important to accustom the child's taste buds to natural water so that they enjoy and do not stop drinking water on no occasion.