A good workout to burn fat in a short time is the HIIT workout consisting of a set of high intensity exercises that eliminate localized fat in just 30 minutes a day in a faster and fun way.
This type of workout should be introduced gradually and therefore is divided into 3 phases, the light, moderate and advanced phase to allow you body to adapt itself to the intensity of the exercises, avoiding muscle and joint injuries. Thus, it is advised you advance to a new phase of intensity each month to maintain the effort and to enhance muscle growth.
Before beginning any phase of HIIT training it is recommended you do 10 minutes of warming up to prepare your heart, muscles and joints.
How to do a light HIIT workout
The light phase of HIIT training is indicated for those who do not train frequently and should be done 3 times a week, allowing at least one day of rest between each workout.
So, in each day of exercise it is recommended you do 5 sets of 15 repetitions of each exercise and resting 2 minutes between each set and resting the minimum possible time between exercises.
Exercise 1: Supported knee flexion
Bending is a type of exercise that helps increase muscle strength of the arms and belly tone. To do the flexion you must:
- Lie on the floor with your belly down;
- Place your palms flat on the floor and shoulder-width apart.
- Raise your belly off the floor and keep the body straight, supporting the weight on the knees and hands;
- Bend your arms until you touch with your chest on the floor and climb, pushing the floor with the strength of your arms;
During this exercise it is important to keep your hip from being below the body line to avoid back injuries, so it is important to keep your abs contracted throughout the exercise.
Exercise 2: Squats with a ball
Ball squatting exercise is important for developing muscle mass and flexibility of the legs, abdomen, gluteus, lumbar and hip. To do the squat properly you should:
- Put a Pilates ball between your back and a wall;
- Keep your legs shoulder-width apart and place your hands forward;
- Bend your legs and place the hip back until it forms a 90 degree angle with your knees, and then rise.
Squatting with a ball can also be done by holding a weight close to your chest if you can not use a Pilates ball, but in this case you should not stand against the wall.
Exercise 3: Arm extension with an elastic
Extending your arms with the use of an elastic is a great way to increase your arm muscle strength, especially your biceps and triceps. To do this exercise you should:
- Place one end of the elastic under your heels and hold the other end with one hand behind your back;
- Stretch the arm you are holding on the elastic, keeping the elbow still, and then return to the starting position;
- Change arm after 15 repetitions.
To do this exercise, it is recommended you use an elastic of sufficient length to reach from your feet to your shoulders without being stretched. However, if it is not possible to use an elastic, you can hold a weight with the hand of the arm that is behind your back.
Exercise 4: Bridge lift
The bridge lift exercise helps to strengthen the muscles of your thighs, back and butt and to be done correctly you must:
- Lie on the floor with your hands along your body and your legs bent and slightly apart;
- Lift your butt as far as possible without moving your feet and returning to the starting position.
To increase the intensity of this exercise it is possible to place a step or stack of books under your feet.
Exercise 5: Front Plank
The front plank is an excellent exercise to work all the muscles of the abdominal region without damaging the spine or posture.