To cure the hangover it is interesting to have a light lunch during the day, to drink black coffee without sugar and hangover medication, like Engov, for example. Therefore, it is possible to prevent hangover symptoms from interfering in your day-to-day life.
Although there are tips to cure hangovers, it is also possible to prevent a hangover from happening, so it is recommended you put the alcoholic drink in a glass of water and eat foods with fat, for example.
7 Tips to cure a Hangover
A hangover is caused by the consumption in excess of alcoholic beverages, causing symptoms such as discomfort, nausea or headache, which can be cured quickly with the following tips:
- Drink 2 cups of unsweetened black coffee because coffee reduces the swelling of the blood vessels that cause the headache and helps the liver to metabolize its toxins;
- Take 1 hangover medication such as Blowfish, for example, that helps decrease hangover symptoms such as headache and motion sickness.
- Drink plenty of water because alcohol causes dehydration, so you should drink several glasses of water throughout the day;
- Drinking a natural fruit juice because these juices possess a type of sugar called fructose which helps the body to burn alcohol faster. A large glass of orange or tomato juice also help speed up the removal of alcohol from the body;
- Eat honey biscuits, because honey also has a concentrated form of fructose, which can help to eliminate alcohol from the body;
- Take a vegetable soup, which helps replenish the salt and potassium that the body lost during alcohol consumption, fighting the hangover;
- Drink a glass of water between each drink and drink water before going to sleep, and when you wake up have a cup of strong, sugar-free coffee.
Foods that can improve discomfort are apple, melon, peach, grape, tangerine, lemon, cucumber, tomato, garlic, onion and ginger.
Another important tip is to rest whenever possible by adopting a light diet, so that the body can recover more quickly eliminating the toxins produced in the liver due to excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Why does a hangover occur
A hangover is caused by the consumption of alcoholic drinks in excess. Alcohol to be eliminated by the body, has to be transformed, in the liver, into acetic acid. Before, this happens it has to be transformed into acetaldehyde which is even more toxic than alcohol. As the liver takes a long time to make this transformation, alcohol and acetaldehyde continue to circulate in the body until they are converted to acetic acid.
Acetaldehyde is a toxic substance that is deposited in various organs of the body, exerting toxicity and thus causing the symptoms of hangover. When the body has too much alcohol the bodies metabolism does not release blood sugar in fasting situations witch can cause hypoglycemia. Alcohol also causes more water to be eliminated and can also cause dehydration.
How to drink without getting a hangover
To prevent a hangover what is most recommended is not to drink exaggeratedly, but one can also take 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil a few hours before the consumption of the drinks and always drink alternately 1 glass of alcoholic beverage with 1 glass of water. Other tips are:
- Never drink on an empty stomach and always drink 1 glass of water or natural fruit juice between each dose of alcoholic beverage;
- Take 1 g of activated charcoal before consuming alcoholic beverages;
- Eat something with fat, like a piece of yellow cheese, for example, between each glass of drink.
In this way, dehydration and hypoglycaemia are avoided and the body has more time to metabolize ethanol, reducing the risk of hangover.