One of the benefits of dragon fruit is that it can help you lose weight because it is low in calories but high in fiber, but it also has other health benefits related to its antioxidant power. This fruit still protects cells, helps in digestion, with blood pressure and fights anemia because it is rich in vitamins and minerals.
The dragon fruit has its origin in Latin America, it is the fruit of a cactus and is considered a tropical fruit. This fruit measures 10-20 cm in diameter and has a mild taste, such as a mixture of kiwi and melon.
There are 3 variations of this fruit:
- White dragon fruit: it has a pink shell and is white inside, being the easiest to find in Brazil;
- Dragon fruit red: it has a reddish-pink color on the outside and is pink-red-purple inside, also found in Brazil;
- Yellow dragon fruit: it has yellow bark and is white inside, being more common in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela.
They all contain numerous black edible seeds distributed throughout their pulp.
Main benefits of dragon fruit
The dragon fruit is named this way because of its irregular bark and scaly buds, which is born from a type of cactus family of the epiphytic Cacti, and begins its harvest season in December in Brazil. In addition, it is heavily cultivated in the rest of South America, Israel and China.
Its main benefits include:
- Protects the bodies cells, because the bark of this fruit is rich in polyphenols that are antioxidants;
- Assists in digestion due to the presence of seeds in the pulp;
- Fight cardiovascular diseases because the seeds contain essential fatty acids like omega 3;
- Regulates the intestine because it contains oligosaccharides, which are fibers that fight against constipation;
- Regulates blood pressure, because this fruit is very rich in water which stimulates the production of urine, reducing the accumulation of fluids in the body;
- Fights anemia and osteoporosis because it contains important vitamins and minerals like iron, phosphorus, vitamins B, C and E.
This fruit has a sweet taste and smooth texture, being easily pleasant to all palates.
Can dragon fruit help you lose weight?
In addition to these benefits, dragon fruit can also help you to lose weight because when consumed it generates a thermogenic reaction, which can accelerate metabolism rate and in doing so may help to eliminate fats and also control appetite.
Dragon fruit also has a substance called tyramine, which activates a hormone in the body called glucagon, stimulating the body to use its sugar and fat reserves, turning the into energy.
How to eat dragon fruit
To eat the dragon fruit one must cut the fruit in half, and eat only its pulp. The pulp of this fruit can also be used in salads, to prepare juices or vitamins, jellies or candy. The pulp can also be used to do various things such as: yogurts, pies, juices, sweets and ice creams.
Dragon fruit ice cream
This dragon fruit ice cream recipe is good for slimming because it has no sugar, and this fruit is low in calories which can help control appetite and speeds up metabolism.
- 2 cup os dragon fruit pulp
- Powder sweetener, to taste
- 1 cup of light cream milk
- 4 egg whites
Mix the ingredients and put in a bowl with a lid. Take to the freezer for about 2 hours. Beat with the aid of a mixer and return to the freezer until serving time.
Besides slimming, the dragon is good for helping to regulate the intestine and facilitate digestion.
Dragon fruit nutritional information
|Components||Amount for 100g of dragon fruit|
|Vitamin C||4 mg|
The dragon fruit is rich in various vitamins which makes it very beneficial to your health, besides being low in calories it has unique proprieties and so can be included in any type of diet.