Eating apples helps control certain diseases like diabetes, improves digestion, contributing to a better use of nutrients and is indicated for those who want to lose weight because it is high in fiber and low in calories.
In addition the apple is rich in antioxidants, water and vitamins, and so it has the following health benefits:
- Decreases bad cholesterol;
- Maintains diabetes under control, because it has a low glycemic index;
- Helps to lose weight, because it contains water and fibers that diminishes appetite;
- Improves constipation, because it contains soluble fibers, that detoxify the digestive tract;
- Relieves gastritis pains and heals gastric ulcers, as the fibers form a gel that protects stomach mucus.
An easy way to consume this fruit is to eat the apple in its natural form, or to add the apple to a fruit salad or make a juice.
How to get benefits from eating apples
The apple is a very nutritious fruit that can be used in several ways:
- Cooked or baked - useful in cases of gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting or diarrhea,
- Raw with peel - helps to decrease appetite because it has many fibers that regulate the intestine;
- Raw without peel - suitable for trapping the intestine;
- Apple juice - helps to moisturize, regulate the trapped intestine and decrease appetite because it has a fiber called pectin that stays in the stomach longer by increasing satiety;
- Dehydrated - great for children as it has a crisper texture that can be used as a substitute for potato chips, for example. Just put the apple in the oven at low temperature, about 20 minutes until it becomes crispy
- Tea - improves digestion and relieves constipation. The apple peel can also be added to a less tasty teas like rock-break tea or St. John's Wort to give a more pleasant flavor
Eating 1 apple a day at breakfast, as a dessert or snacks is a great way to take full advantage of its benefits, ensuring more health. 1 medium apple has about 130 g and 74 calories.
Apple Nutritional Information
|Components||Amount in 100 g of apple with peel|
|Vitamin A||4,0 mcg|
|Vitamin E||0,59 mg|
|Vitamin C||7,0 mg|
Benefits of apples for the skin
The benefits of apple to the skin include decreasing wrinkles and sagging skin because the apple is rich in antioxidants that will combat skin aging.
The apple has vitamin A, E and C which are antioxidants and will help fight free radicals that are formed by aging, pollution and poor nutrition. Vitamin C will also help in the production of collagen that maintains stiffness of the skin.