Turn on notifications so you do not miss out on the most interesting health and wellness publications.
What do you need to know?

What to do if you have an allergy to ant bites or other bugs

Any insect bite causes a small allergic reaction with redness, swelling and itching at the area of the bite, however, some people may have a more severe allergic reaction that can cause swelling of the entire affected limb or other body parts.

In the vast majority of cases, symptoms can be relieved by passing a pebble of ice on the spot and using an antiallergic ointment, but in some people the allergic reaction may be so severe that it needs to be treated with corticosteroid-based ointments or even taking epinephrine if the symptoms put your life at risk.

What to do if you have an allergy to ant bites or other bugs
What to do if you have an allergy to ant bites or other bugs

Signs of allergy to a bug bite

People who are more sensitive to insect bites may have allergy symptoms, such as:

  • Redness and swelling of the affected limb;
  • Severe pain or itching at the affected area;
  • Transparent fluid that exits the location of the bite.

It is considered an allergy to the sting when these symptoms arise after the sting of a non-venomous insect such as a mosquito, ant, bee or flea, for example.

When to go to the hospital

Some people may have an exaggerated allergic reaction, called anaphylactic shock, and in these cases it is very important to go to the hospital immediately if signs such as:

  • Rapid drop in blood pressure;
  • Feeling faint;
  • Dizziness or confusion;
  • Swelling of the face and mouth;
  • Extremely difficult to breathe.

The difficulty in breathing occurs due to swelling of the throat that prevents the air passage. In these cases, the reaction is very rapid and the individual should be taken to the hospital as soon as possible, as there is a risk of death from asphyxiation.

In the case of a poisonous animal such as a snake or a spider, for example, it is necessary to call for medical help, call 192, or go to the hospital.

Ointment for insect bite allergy

To treat a small allergy to bug bites, ice is recommended to be put on the area for up to ten minutes and at most one ointment such as Polaramine, Andantol, Mepyramine maleate 2% or Chlorphenamine Maleate, 2 to 3 times a day for 5 days. It is recommended to avoid scratching the area, as this action can lead to increased skin irritation.

These ointments may be purchased at a pharmacy or drugstore, without a prescription, but the affected region should be shown to the pharmacist, so he can indicate the best possibility.

However, if the area continues to swell, it is recommended to go to a doctor and, if possible, the bug that was responsible for the bite, so that it is identified. This is important because if it is a bee sting, for example, it is necessary to remove the stinger left by it so that the wound can heal.

Did you like what you read?   
Yes  /  No

If you have any questions or if you found any spelling errors, please inform us, so we can improve! We will not answer you directly, however if you have a question that needs to be answered, please click here Contact.

Send Carregando elementos na página
More on this subject:
Carregando
...
Fechar

Please, ask away

Fechar
It's time to answer all your questions
Erro
Erro
Erro
Select the check box above.
Send message