At 23 weeks, equivalent to 6 months of pregnancy, the baby is able to feel the mother's body movements and hearing is sharpened especially for lower sounds. This is a good time to listen to different types of music and sounds so that your baby gets more and more used to external sounds.
Fetal development at 23 weeks of gestation
At 23 weeks of development the baby has red and wrinkled skin due to the presence of the blood vessels that are quite visible through its transparent skin. Regardless of race, children are born with a reddish skin tone and only get their definitive color over the first year of life.
- In addition, other changes that occur around 6 months of pregnancy are:
- The lungs continue to develop, especially the blood vessels that will irrigate them;
- The baby's eyes begin to move through rapid movements;
- The features of the baby's face are already defined;
- The hearing is already sharper, making the baby already able to hear loud and low noises, sounds of the mother's heartbeat and stomach.
At about 23 weeks is also when the pancreas is activated, so that the baby's body is now ready to produce insulin.
Size of a 23 week fetus
Generally, at 23 weeks of gestation, the fetus measures approximately 28 centimeters and has a weight of about 500 g. However, its size may vary slightly and so it is very important to see a obstetrician frequently to evaluate the evolution of the baby's weight.
Changes to the mother's body at 23 weeks of pregnancy
The main changes in women at 23 weeks of gestation are:
- The height of the uterus may have already reached 22 cm;
- Stretch marks, especially for women who have the hereditary tendency to develop them. As a prevention, it is important to always use moisturizing creams in the most critical regions such as belly, thighs and buttocks;
- Spine pain, especially in the lower back. It is important to avoid wearing high shoes, always lying on your side on the bed with your legs bent and preferably with a pillow between your knees;
- Balance difficulties, because at this stage the mother's center of gravity begins to change, which takes some getting used to;
- The navel starts to become more evident, but after birth everything will return to normal;
- Weight can increase by 4 to 6 kg, which depends on a woman's body mass index and diet.
Some women at this stage develop gingivitis, which is inflammation of the gums and causes some bleeding when brushing their teeth. Good hygiene, flossing, and dental follow-up are critical.